Top 5 Wildlife Sanctuaries in South India
For people looking for an escape to nature, nothing spells better than a visit to a wildlife sanctuary. Watching a wild animal moving about unrestricted in its natural surrounding is a thrill like no other. What’s even better about Wildlife Sanctuaries is that it appeals to all age groups and types of travellers, from nature lovers, wildlife enthusiasts to families and thus everyone can have an enjoyable time.
Luckily, South India is one of those few regions in the country, that is flanked by several wildlife sanctuaries. Many of these wildlife sanctuaries are located in close proximity to the city of Bangalore, thereby, offering all the weary office-goers a unique opportunity to escape from their cubicles and computers to a natural retreat.
In an effort to help all the weary travellers zero down on their choice of Wildlife Sanctuary to visit, we have compiled a list of the top 5 wildlife sanctuaries in South India, for your next natural escapade.
- Bandipur National Park – The first name to top this list is the Bandipur National Park. Dubbed as one of the most beautiful national parks in India, the Bandipur National Park proudly sits pretty amidst the scenic Western Ghats, spread out in an area of 874.2 sq km. Bandipur along with Mudumalai and Wayanad wildlife sanctuaries form the Nilgiri Bioreserve and play an important role in India’s effort towards eco-conservation. Bandipur Wildlife Sanctuary is home to a sizeable number of Tigers along with gaurs, various species of deer, wild boars, jackals, sloth bears and several varieties of birds among others.
- Periyar National Park – Located in the Thekkady district of Kerela, Periyar National Park is also one of the most scenic national parks of the country. Spread out in an area of 925 sq km Periyar National Park is nourished by two rivers Periyar and Pamba that sustains and boosts the biodiversity of the region. Popular as a major tiger and elephant reserve, Periyar National park is also home to several different species of animals and birds, like the elusive lion-tailed Macaque, Nilgiri langur, common langur, Bonnet Macaque, racket-tailed drongos, Cormorants, the great Malabar Hornbills and much more. With such a rich variety of wildlife to explore, Periyar National Park makes for one amazing day filled with thrill and amazement.
- Nagarhole National Park – Nagarhole National Park located at a short distance from Bangalore offers the perfect weekend getaway for all wildlife enthusiasts, nature lovers and families. The Nagarhole National Park too is part of the Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve and is home to tigers and elephants along with several different species of animals and birds. With such a diverse landscape and an equally befitting variety of flora and fauna to be seen, Nagarhole National Park is a must-visit attraction for every nature lover and wildlife enthusiasts.
- Bannerghatta National Park – Bannerghatta National Park located at a short distance from Bangalore is a one of a kind biological reserve, that also houses a zoo, a pet corner, an animal rescue centre, a butterfly enclosure, a safari park, an aquarium and a snake house. Home to numerous varieties of animals, Bannerghatta National Park enjoys massive popularity both among the local population and tourists who throng to the park in great numbers to catch a glimpse of varied animals, reptiles, primates cohabiting together.
Source – Team-BHP
- Kabini Wildlife Sanctuary – Kabini Wildlife Sanctuary located on the banks of Kabini River is essentially part of Nagarhole National Park. Having earlier served as an exclusive hunting ground for the King of Mysore, Kabini today acts as home to a healthy population of tigers and elephants. Kabini is also the place to catch a sight of the elusive black panther in its true elements. In addition to that, Kabini also plays host to almost 250 species of birds and as such is often referred to as an Ornithologist’s paradise. What makes bird watching in Kabini so exciting is the rare chance to spot the elusive oriental white-backed vulture and Nilgiri wood pigeon among others.
Since a trip to a National Park is quite entertaining yet energy draining, there is an ample number of wildlife resorts around Bangalore and other places where these national parks are located to help all the weary travellers relax and rejuvenate themselves. These resorts offer a great mix of quality services, activities and amenities for an enjoyable stay. One particular resort that offers a thoroughly enjoyable stay is the Discovery Village luxury resort at Kabini, that is bound to sweep you off your feet with its services, friendly staff and top-notch amenities. So if you happen to be visiting Kabini wildlife sanctuary don’t forget to check into Discovery Village resort and experience the magic by yourself.